Saturday, 29 March 2014

conscious uncoupling




Not me and BM.  Somebody has to put up with me.

Me and twitter.  You see over the past 48 hours or so, I've watched twitter with almost obsessive fascination as the story unfolded about the deal reached between Grayling and the Bar.  I was completely addicted and couldn't switch it off. 

For those who don't know what's happened and in the spirit of balance, the arguments for and against can be found here.  Basically an agreement was reached whereby the Bar have been given a stay of execution.  The effect of this is that we've upset our Solicitor friends and colleagues and apparently forgotten the importance of legal aid and our principles in the process.  Somehow the doomed Lord Chancellor has managed to secure a temporary upper hand.  We gave it to him.  I watched in horror as it became apparent that all of this was arranged behind the backs of those who it affects the most - the legal profession, the public and those who find themselves at the mercy of the criminal justice system.  I'm a self employed practitioner.  I chose a career where I get to make my own decisions.  I intend to do just that.  Some secret meeting in a London won't dictate my next move.  Not in my name.

So after two days of shouting at twitter I decided that for the sake of my sanity, we needed a break.   We still loved each other, but time apart was required.  We needed to uncouple for a while.  I think that's what the cool kids do.

There was only one thing for it.  As I'd be working all weekend, I'd give myself the afternoon off and take the hound to the seaside.  At one time, a few hours off would be unheard of.  But the new me is trying very hard to find that elusive work life balance that everybody else seems to manage.

So off we went.



We ran...


She dug a hole...


We shared some chips...they taste better at the seaside...


Me and my shadow had a lovely afternoon.



She is the only one in our house who is grateful for the chaos caused by the Criminal Bar Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment