Friday, 26 July 2013

Ten years on

On Wednesday I returned some papers to Chambers and caught up with a few friends and colleagues. I decided that I needed to start clearing my work out of my home in order to make the changes that are starting to happen, a reality.

One of my Clerks kindly offered me another case for next week.  They haven't quite got their heads around the fact that I won't be available for a little while.  They are not used to me taking holidays!

My lovely friend Jo reminded me that it was exactly ten years to the day that we were first called to the Bar, the day that we officially became Barristers.  It made me a little sad.  Exactly ten years later I was bringing my papers back and making a break away from it.  I worked so very hard to prove to people that I could do it.  That my northern accent and hobbit size wouldn't stop me prosecuting and defending scary criminals.  I was very proud of myself when I did show those who doubted that I could do it.  For a long time I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

It's difficult to explain to people what I am doing.  They ask will I be back.  The truth is, I don't know how it will pan out in the long run.  I know that I can't walk away.   I've kept the door open and I want to and will do some work.  My bff P thinks that I am addicted to it and although it drives me mad and stresses me out, it's not in my nature to take a break.  She's not often wrong.  Perhaps I am addicted. Maybe I will need another hit in a few months time.  I can see that happening.

In the meantime though, I want to concentrate on the future.  I have plans and for the first time in a very, very long time, I have the chance to put them into action.

This little lady is enjoying having me around for the time being...
Her walks are getting longer...

However at least for today, the Clerks got their own way and I spent a brief period at Leeds Crown Court...

Old habits are hard to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment